Get More SoLA, solo

Find SoLA, Solo on: Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Thursday, March 18, 2010

Thibodaux

I had two appointments in Houma this afternoon, and I grabbed my camera thinking I'd snap a few more pictures of the area. As I set out on my journey, however, I found a key road on my route was blocked due to some sort of construction, necessitating an alternate route. After that, I missed a turn and my GPS didn't recognize me as being on any road. Instead of turning around, though, I figured I'd press on - at some point I'd have to hit a road that the GPS recognized, I thought.

This unexpected route took me straight through the town of Thibodaux - not a big town by most standards but big enough that it's well known in Louisiana. I had never seen Thibodaux before and was fairly impressed. Below are some photos from my journey today, starting in Houma and working back.

My first appointment today was great, but my second was a near-disaster. The business was located in what appeared to be a fairly rough part of town. The parking lot was full and I had to park on the street, in front of this house:



Here are some other views of the street.











The appointment was bad for other reasons, too, and I was glad to be back on the road. In between Thibodaux and Houma, I noticed a few homes I wanted to photograph. When I came upon this one, I saw the Spanish moss and a large, looming white structure and figured it would be an antebellum home. This one is very unique, though. Check out all the ornamentation. I wonder if it's original or added later.







Here's another nice home hidden behind mossy oaks.



The following pictures are from downtown Thibodaux. It definitely has that unique Louisiana look.
































Near Chackbay, LA.





Finally for today, I decided to pull off to the side of the road to take a couple photos of something very common alongside South Louisiana country highways. Along many "major" highway in South Louisiana, you will find little bayous. Here is a close up picture and then some perspective.




1 comment:

  1. Beautiful pictures! Amazing that you saw all that in one day.

    ReplyDelete