Get More SoLA, solo

Find SoLA, Solo on: Facebook | Twitter | Flickr

Thursday, April 22, 2010

Baton Rouge | Government Street

It’s been a bit of a crazy week here as I’ve had work-related after-hours events to attend the last couple nights. Tuesday night I sat in my office and watched Hulu for two hours before my event. Although it was good to catch up on Archer, I realized I could have been out taking some pictures for my faithful readers… so last evening I took the opportunity. In hindsight, being outdoors taking pictures in the late afternoon in South Louisiana, while wearing a suit, was not the best idea before a social event. But these are the sacrifices I make for you.

My subject yesterday was one of my favorite parts of Baton Rouge – Government Street in mid-city. Government Street certainly has it’s highs and lows, but I kind of love the mix of mid-century architecture, nice restaurants and unique boutiques, along with some splashes of urban decay and kitsch. Admittedly, these will focus more on the decay part, because as my wife says, “all [I] like to take pictures of is run-down buildings.”

Hope you enjoy these pictures, I feel like my skills are getting slightly better. The first two are from the western edge of mid-city, nearly downtown. The rest bounce around a bit east-to-west as I saw subjects and darted in and out of parking lots.

around the clock bail bonds

big baby's & queen one stop

available

I thought this was an interesting juxtaposition.

bibles, hot n' ready

lobianco's grocery and beer

I had read about Ninja Snowballs, so when I saw the truck I had to stop and take a picture. (It was hard to miss - the truck is a brilliant, shiny red as you can see.)  I’m not sure which Ninja this was, but he graciously posed for the snapshot as he was packing up. He asked if I was from the newspaper. “No, just a little blog,” I replied.

ninja snowballs

d-jay's

school of beauty

2987

vacant storefront, graffiti

Here are several from the grand old dame of Government Street, Baton Rouge Magnet High School.

wbrh

entry

benches at br high

baton rouge magnet high school

baton rouge high

baton rouge high window

baton rouge high air conditioning

This was actually on North Boulevard, but I couldn’t resist.
are you the father?

mid-city, mid-century

concrete ornamentation

As always, larger, higher-resolution versions of everything can be found on my Flickr. Just click a photo to be taken there, then click "All Sizes." One last one for the road…

southern camera service

No comments:

Post a Comment